DOH Office of Aging and Long-Term Care Leadership Team Announced
On Nov. 15th, Department of Health (DOH) Office of Aging and Long-Term Care (OALTC) Deputy Commissioner Adam Herbst announced the following appointments to the OALTC leadership team:
- Valerie Deetz, Deputy Director, will be directly responsible for assisting the Deputy Commissioner with leading OALTC’s efforts to oversee all components of the long-term care continuum in New York State, and will provide operational oversight of the six Centers within OALTC.
- Andy Lebwohl, Director for the Center for Aging and LTC Finance and Supports, will provide expert policy and programmatic support on financing initiatives, payor (i.e., Medicare and Medicaid) duals, and Managed Care advice. Under Mr. Lebwohl’s leadership, the Center will work to design, implement, and oversee programmatic financing and payor support services for aging New Yorkers both within the community and in residential settings (Vital Access Provider Assurance Program (VAPAP)/Vital Access Provider (VAP)), and will continue the work of the Bureau of Community Integration and Alzheimer’s Disease Services, the Bureau of Long-Term Care Medicaid Waiver Programs, and the Long-Term Care Partnership program.
- Heidi Hayes, Director for the Center for LTC Survey and Operations, will oversee all state and federal survey and enforcement activities associated with Article 28, Article 7, Article 36, and Article 40 provider types. This team will work closely with the Center for Aging and LTC Finance and Supports and the Policy team to develop transformative long-term care initiatives and policies.
- Mark Furnish, Director for the Center for LTC Licensure, Planning, and Finance, will carry out the licensure and certification activities for all long-term care health care facilities, agencies, and residential programs, and will work with stakeholders, including the Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) Council, to determine and address potential unmet need for aging individuals.
- Ariel Simon, Director for the Center for Aging & LTC Regulatory and Policy Initiatives, will oversee all long-term care proposed legislation, regulatory and legislative agendas, Age and Health Friendly initiatives, and the implementation of the State’s first Master Plan for Aging.
- Daniel Hammond, Director of Long-Term Care Budget and Administration, will oversee OALTC personnel activities along with managing grants, procurements, and other critical contract activities.
DOH Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett announced a departmental reorganization earlier this year that resulted in the creation of OALTC, an office charged with better meeting the needs of older New Yorkers and people with disabilities who require long-term care.